I've had a lot of fun press lately, being on St. Louis TV's Channel 2, 11, and on Show Me St. Louis--all programs titled as reading tarot cards for dogs. Because the segments are short, not all the details of my work are covered, and there are always some things that could be clarified or explained:
First off, please know that I read for ALL animals--not just dogs, which have garnered most of the news attention. Dogs might be the easiest for tarot because they travel well, attend things like Pet Expos and arts fairs, and they are often good in groups (dog parties!). But please know that I am happy to read for most any kind of animal (although to be honest, I don't know how successful I'd be with a fish!). Higher up on the evolutionary chain, I have read for turtles, rabbits, chinchillas, cats, birds, and of course, dogs. I'm up to try reading for any species you'd like to present me--but mammals will likely have the best result.
I do not work from one fixed location, and usually meet my clients at their residence or special event for parties, or at coffee shops and places like that for individual readings. This presents challenges to people wanting an hour-long individual pet reading outside of an organized party. Weather depending, I am happy to meet you and your animal on the outside patio of a Starbucks or elsewhere in the St. Louis area at my $60 an hour rate, versus the $100 party rate. And yes, I am happy to give people readings in this same hour for the owner too.
Cats do not usually travel comfortably, and I don't wish to stress out any pets. I would encourage you to set up a reading with me where I come for a home visit, or to do the reading by Skype or even telephone. No, your cat does not need to meow into the speaker or anything like that. It is your bond with the animal that helps me to read it as much as the animal being there.
On the Show Me St. Louis video, it was noted that I rub the cards on the dog. Yes, I do that when the animal is there in person, just to make more of a connection. This is not essential, and I should be (and am) able to read for your pets, even long-distance, through Skype or by seeing a photo with a name and some basic facts (male or female, if there is a problem you're looking to resolve, etc.).
Here are some of the issues we can explore with your pet:
* behavioral problems and causes
* litter box/housebreaking issues
* physical problems or questions
* unknown histories (for strays)
* repercussions of abuse and neglect
* relationships with other pets and with people
* the pet's wants and needs
* the pet's general quality of happiness
Please keep in mind that I don't have the tools to talk back to the animal! I'm just getting basic understandings of what is going on with your little (or big) friend and what might be done to prevent future misbehavior, etc. Sometimes, it's as easy as changing a brand of cat litter. In the reading I did for the news host this weekend, I saw a bored dog who needed something to occupy his time (he had apparently chewed up and destroyed a dog bed recently!). I can usually identify jealousies, dogs who insist upon being the leader of the pack, fears and peculiar habits. What you as the pet owner decide to do with this knowledge is up to you, and I cannot promise anything but information.
Finally, please keep in mind that anyone who loves their pet enough to care about correcting problems is a good pet owner already. Don't beat yourself up if I see something you might be able to improve upon. Just as our human lives are not entirely perfect and there may be some things we want and need on occasion, so it is with our animals. It does not make you a bad person if your pet is not fully content at all times. Are you? What pets need more than anything is food, shelter, occasional vet care, and love and attention. If you're doing that, the rest is gravy.
© Julia Gordon-Bramer 2012
1 comment:
I find the pet readings fascinating. Thank you for posting this!
Post a Comment