Monday, August 27, 2012

Booking Me As A Tarot Reader For Your Party

As we get into the holiday season, I begin to get lots of calls asking questions about parties. I thought I'd attempt to answer some of the most common questions here:

How far in advance do I need to book you to read tarot at my party?

It depends on when your party is. It is always easier to get a party on a Sunday or a week night than to get a Friday or Saturday night party, but even then, sometimes I am free. Afternoon parties are also easier to schedule last-minute than evening ones.

At the time of this writing (Aug. 27, 2012), most but not all September and October weekend dates are full. But please try me in case there has been a cancellation, or in case I can work you in before or after a party already on my calendar. At the moment, November and December is still fairly open.

How far are you willing to travel?

Without charging you extra traveling fees, I will drive within one hour of downtown St. Louis in any direction. Occasionally, I will do a party or event further than that if I am already in their area for another event.

Can you do parties long distance via Skype?

Yes! I do this all the time. However, they must be prepaid to save my time for actual readings and not bothering with numbers.

How does the payment work for parties, in general?

My party rates are $100 an hour, with a two-hour minimum. I require a $100 deposit to hold the date on my calendar, which is applied to the total cost of your party. I take cash, checks, major credit cards and PayPal.

Some party hosts have their guests all contribute to the cost, and sometimes I will charge each guest (typically $25 for 15 minutes). The party host should decide and work this out with me in advance.

Some party hosts prefer to pay up front so as not to be bothered with money the night of the party. This is fine.

Can you stay longer if we want you for more than the agreed upon time?

I often can stay longer, unless I am booked for a later party after yours. My rates are the same for extra time: $50 a half hour, $100 an hour.

How long is a tarot reading, and how many people can you read for in an hour?

Party hosts often don't stop to realize that a tarot reading is a give-and-take conversation between the reader and the party guest. The party guest will usually want to ask some questions, or at least have time to respond. That said, my absolute shortest readings are ten minutes each; my preferred time to read a party guest is fifteen-to-twenty minutes.

Then, there is the problem with down-time in between. Rarely are party guests physically lined up, ready and waiting to be read. The party scenario is more like this: People drift about, and when the tarot reader is finished with the last person, there will be some general asking around.

"Who's next? Do you want to go, or should I go?"

"Let me go, but first I just need to refresh my drink..."

"I'll be there as soon as I use the Ladies' Room,"

...and so on. This down-time in-between guests can really add up. Point being that it may be my goal to read six people in an hour, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. I'm intuitive, but not so magically magnetic that I can physically pull them to me. Number systems work great, as well as sign-up sheets. Be sure your guests know to keep things moving!

Do you record the sessions for us?

No, but I am fine with you recording or videotaping your session. I have had people set up video cameras, and I have had people turn the recorders on their phones. I have no problem with either. Just please respect the short amount of time I have per person, and realize that fiddling with equipment holds things up.

Are you OK with reading for people who are drunk?

No, I am not. What some people don't understand about the tarot is that it is a tool for introspection and personal growth. There is no growth when one is wasted. As a tarot reader, it is rather frustrating to have to repeat oneself over and over because the questioner can't remember what I said, or what they just asked. No one enjoys being yelled at through an amplified drunken conversation. Drunks tend to get over-emotional too (there is a reason they call them 'spirits', after all) and sometimes can get unreasonably angry, abusive, hysterical or weepy. Please know that I reserve the right to leave early from any event in which I feel uncomfortable or threatened. By all means--have fun, but save the heavy drinking until after you've had your tarot reading.

What kind of set-up do you need?

All I need is a table and chairs, a tall glass of water, and to have the room quiet enough to talk normally. Once I was put in a party room with a live band and I had to ask to be moved to the lobby as I could not scream everything all night. Some people want their readings done in privacy, and so I am often sequestered in a bedroom or a private study. Other people love to hear each other's readings, and they gather around together to listen. It's up to you and what everyone is comfortable with.

Do you dress in costume?

As a rule, no. I do sometimes make an exception for Halloween, as showing up to a costume party without a costume can look weird. Once, I also dressed as Professor Trelawney for a Harry Potter party. I am a serious tarot reader, not an actress or model. It is more important to me to connect with you and reveal your subconscious self and the path that you're on than to look a part.

This is a kids' party/birthday party/wedding/happy occasion. Can you keep the readings all happy?

To a point. If a person has some exceptionally hard times going on, it is likely to show up in the cards. Some cards that we see, like the Tower, or the Nine of Swords, well, there is just no way of getting around that they are bad news. But yes, I can downplay the negative. And the beautiful thing about the tarot is that we can always go toward the positive and ask for advice to prevent a negative outcome.

Will you come to my home/office/restaurant/rented space for my party?

Yes, as long as it is within an hour's of St. Louis. Travel expenses will apply if your event is further away.

What kind of questions do people ask at a tarot party? Do people need to have questions at all?

A party guest does not need to have a specific question, although some like to prepare them written out, so that they do not forget! Typically, I begin a reading with a layout that shows some of the past, present and future. From there, time permitting, we can get into other things.

Is there a minimum or maximum number of people you can read for?

There is no minimum number of people. At my party rates, I will come to your home and read only for you, if you wish. For large events with hundreds of people, you may wish to employ other tarot readers to assist, as I am still limited to my six people an hour. I do know other good tarot readers and am happy to refer you to them.

For large events, I have read as long as seven hours at a time, but I need at least a few ten or fifteen-minute breaks to stretch, refresh and perhaps get a bite to eat.

I hope this helps you. If you have a question I have not covered here, please post it below and I'll answer it promptly. I look forward to meeting you at your next party or special event. To reserve your date, email me at tarot@nighttimes.com, or call 314.517.0158.





© Julia Gordon-Bramer 2012

No comments: